lunes, 27 de noviembre de 2017

Descriptive Essay



DESCRIPTIVE ESSAY
By Lorena Ramírez
      The descriptive essay is a genre of essay that asks the person to describe something like object, person, place, experience, emotion, situation and more, to encourage the people’s ability to create a written account of a particular experience, this genre allows for a great deal of artistic freedom (the goal of which is to paint an image that is vivid and moving in the mind of the reader).
Descriptive essays components
Introduction
         That is where the author briefly introduces the subject or the object of the essay. Introduction has to be written in an engaging manner to draw readers’ attention and convince them read further rather than switch to something else.
Main Body
         The subject or object of descriptive essay is further explored and explained in detail in the body of the essay. The author can describe every particular aspect of the subject/object depending on what he/she considers important. Usually, writers use a great variety of adjectives and adverbs to make the paper colorful, lively, and interesting to read. Also, in this section the author can provide specific examples to enhance the description of the subject/object and make it easier to understand for the audience. This part of the essay provides readers with the insight into what the authors thinks about the particular topic
Conclusion
         In this part, the author provides his own thoughts and conclusion of the subject or object of the essay, which depends greatly on author’s writing style, imagination, and analytical skills.
Example of descriptive essay
Carnival Rides


I have always been fascinated by carnival rides. It amazes me that average, ordinary people eagerly trade in the serenity of the ground for the chance to be tossed through the air like vegetables in a food processor. It amazes me that at some time in history someone thought that people would enjoy this, and that person invented what must have been the first of these terrifying machines. For me, it is precisely the thrill and excitement of having survived the ride that keeps me coming back for more.

My first experience with a carnival ride was a Ferris wheel at a local fair. Looking at that looming monstrosity spinning the life out of its sardine-caged occupants, I was dumbstruck. It was huge, smoky, noisy and not a little intimidating. Ever since that initial impression became fossilized in my imagination many years ago, these rides have reminded me of mythical beasts, amazing dinosaurs carrying off their screaming passengers like sacrificial virgins. Even the droning sound of their engines brings to mind the great roar of a fire-breathing dragon with smoke spewing from its exhaust-pipe nostrils.

The first ride on one of these fantastic beasts gave me an instant rush of adrenaline. As the death-defying ride started, a lump in my throat pulsed like a dislodged heart ready to walk the plank. As the ride gained speed, the resistance to gravity built up against my body until I was unable to move. An almost imperceptible pause as the wheel reached the top of its climb allowed my body to relax in a brief state of normalcy. Then there was an assault of stomach-turning weightlessness as the machine continued its rotation and I descended back toward the earth. A cymbal-like crash vibrated through the air as the wheel reached bottom, and much to my surprise I began to rise again.

Each new rotation gave me more confidence in the churning machine. Every ascent left me elated that I had survived the previous death-defying fall. When another nerve-wracking climb failed to follow the last exhilarating descent and the ride was over, I knew I was hooked. Physically and emotionally drained, I followed my fellow passengers down the clanging metal steps to reach the safety of my former footing. I had been spared, but only to have the opportunity to ride again.

My fascination with these fantastic flights is deeply engrained in my soul. A trip on the wonderful Ferris wheel never fails to thrill me. Although I am becoming older and have less time, or less inclination, to play, the child-like thrill I have on a Ferris wheel continues with each and every ride.
Partner sites: and Free Essays and Term Papers

Descriptive essay example outline
         INTRODUCTION
         The author starts the essay saying that she has always been fascinated by carnival rides and the best invention was the ferry wheels because is precisely the thrill and the excitement of having survived the ride that keeps her coming back for more
         BODY
         Her first experience description with a carnival ride, in a ferry wheels at a local fair and her impression on it that became fossilized in her imagination many years ago and gave her an instant rush of adrenaline.
         CONCLUSION
         The fascination with the fantastic flights and  her  thrills in the ferry wheels that although she is becoming older and has less time, it  will continue with each and every ride 
References
Global soft group. (1998-2017). Format of descriptive essays. Retrieved on November 15th, 2017 from https://essaywritingstore.com/format-of-descriptive-essays
Jack, B. Allen, B. Elizabeth, A. (2013). Purdue online writing lab. Descriptive essay. Retrieved on November 15th, 2017 from  https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/685/03/
McCarthy, E.(2017 ). Sample descriptive essay.  [image]. Retrieved from                    http://huanyii.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Best-Ideas-of-   Descriptive-Essay- Ideas-On-Sheets-.jpg

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario